As the leading respiratory hospital in the nation, National Jewish Health is pioneering a new era of preventive and personalized medicine. By combining our efforts in comprehensive care, academic education and ground-breaking research, we're able to develop treatments that help our patients live more productive lives. If you believe in Science Transforming Life, we invite you to join our team
In this full-time, day shift role, deliver safe and appropriate patient care within scope of practice and established policies and procedures under direct supervision of a Registered Nurse in our Adult Asthma Allergy Clinic.
- Transports patients safely to other departments. Notifies the technician when patients are ready for their visit.
- Assists with assuring a complete patient record by recording vitals, (blood pressure, pulse), height and weight.
- Performs competencies (including age-specific competencies) as identified through the departmental competency program. Implements care and services that recognize age-specific needs and issues for customers served.
- Prepares testing rooms for patient use, maintaining adequate supplies & forms, & cleaning rooms between patients.
- Orients patients to clinic upon first visit.
- Monitors master schedule and patient tracking system to ensure patients are appropriately registered and worked up within the time frame of their appointment.
- Maintains and stocks supplies in all testing rooms and supply areas.
- Performs electrocardiograms (ECGs) on adult and pediatric patients as directed. Processes and files chart copies of these reports. Works with Echocardiogram Sonographer - Lead and Cardiology Supervisor to monitor procedure activity.
- Performs Holter monitoring, Non-Invasive Blood Pressure Monitoring, Event Monitoring, and Mobile Telemetry Monitoring and enter patient data into the computerized reporting program as directed.
- Communicates appropriately to other staff members when leaving the clinic area.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Performs, as directed, safety compliance and uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
- Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) programs, as directed.
- Ensures compliance with The Joint Commission and all other Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
- Responds promptly and sincerely to customer's needs, requests and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
- Maintains positive working relationships as a team player through problem solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
- Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by participating in department and institution-wide specific programs.
- Incorporates National Jewish's identity (Science Transforming Life®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the institution, provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards, and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
Knowledge and Skills
Excellent organizational and time management skills, communication skills, problem solving skills, mathematical and computer skills.
High School Diploma or equivalent preferred. Completion of a formal Medical Assistant program through an accredited school or medical program that meets the criteria of a medical assistant program such as military prepared corpsman or medic is required.
Certification and Licensure
CPR/BLS required. Medical Assistant Certification or Registered Medical Assistant Limited Scope is preferred.
One (1) year medical assistant experience preferred. ECG experience preferred.
- or - Any equivalent combination of Education and/or Experience
Position is in a clinical environment. Frequent requirements may include: reading and comprehending medical literature, including basic interpretation of disease processes, medical charts, and instructions. Communication includes ability to chart vital signs and other basic information. Communication with interdisciplinary team as well as with differing ages and levels of maturity/understanding of patient and family, taking and recording telephone messages. Manual dexterity, manipulating equipment such as blood pressure kit, oximeter, spirometer. Frequently, has the need to assist a patient by moving or lifting. Considerable physical demands, requiring lifting up to 25 pounds Also involves pushing wheelchairs, opening doors and cabinets, reaching for objects. Occasionally will need to crawl in order to retrieve a fallen object for a patient. Occasional requirements may include: sitting while completing paperwork, kneeling, and squatting. Incumbent may be scheduled to work an alternate schedule to accommodate essential business needs routine travel by foot or automobile to alternate work/meeting locations, possibly during inclement weather.
Inside environmental conditions may include: The potential of coming into contact with bloodborne pathogens. Has frequent exposure to infectious diseases. Occasionally, may encounter radiation from portable radiology procedures. May come into contact with various fumes/odors. Also may encounter contaminated biological waste from infectious patients. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided to each employee when needed as determined by policy. Utilization of PPE is mandatory. Estimated 1500 employees in the worksite.