Senior Level. Processes specimens for analysis, prepares specimens for referral in a correct and timely order to speed the recovery of our patients, performs various types of routine/waived testing and draws blood.
JOB SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES:
1. Maintains consistency with Administrative and Departmental policies with appropriate behavior, dress, attitude, attendance, confidentiality, professionalism, and reliability.
2. Directs full attention to patient/specimen identification.
3. Collects venous and capillary specimens in the outpatient lab. Performs bleeding times on the floor and in the recovery room.
4. Performs those tests that are authorized by the laboratory director and require a degree of skill commensurate with the individual's education, training or experience, and technical abilities.
5. Follows laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing test analysis, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results.
6. Receives specimens from courier and/or pneumatic tube and promptly accessions them into the laboratory information system.
7. Processes specimens for analysis, includes centrifuging, aliquoting, labeling, making smears, setting up cultures, sed-rates, retics, placing slides on slide stainer, etc.
8. Prepares specimens to be sent to reference laboratories.
9. Adheres to the laboratory's quality control policies and documents all quality control activities applicable to their job.
10. Enters patient orders in LIS, files, charts and assists with other information center duties.
11. Operates automated equipment, e.g. centrifuges, loads bar-coded samples on bi-directional analyzers for analysis.
12. Orders, receives and distributes stock, non-stock and office supplies.
13. Performs other tasks as required under the direction of the medical technologists/medical lab technicians.
14. Assists with filing of Reference Lab Reports and/or other Central Processing duties whenever available. (It will be up the person to float to the most needed area under the guidance of the section charge tech or the charge tech on duty.)
15. Receives and assists internal/external customers in person or by phone. Provides general information or refers customers to the appropriate person. Uses initiative and judgment to ensure proper attention is given to matters of priority.
16. Serves as a laboratory team member to enhance customer relations within and outside the Laboratory.