Provides quality pharmaceutical care defined as being responsible for assuring the provision of safe, efficacious and cost-effective drug therapy for all patients. The pharmacist will utilize integrated and routine communication with all health care professionals and the patients concerning medical care and quality of life with the emphasis placed on the monitoring and documentation of specific pharmacotherapy outcomes. Provides assistance and in-depth drug information to medical personnel; performs operational/clinical functions or projects as assigned; meets the qualifications to provide care for patients in the specific age range on their assigned clinical area.
Performs duties to provide the highest level of patient care and maximize patient satisfaction.
Works under the general direction of the Director, System Therapeutics, the Director, Clinical Pharmacy Programs, and/or the Clinical Coordinator.
*A. CLINICAL ACTIVITIES:
1. Assumes responsibility for the delivery of pharmaceutical care to the specific patient care area in which the pharmacist is scheduled to work. Coordinates the use of human, material, and informational resources such that timely, efficient, cost effective and appropriate care is consistently rendered.
2. Demonstrates proficiency in order processing. Receives and interprets physicians' medication orders and clarifies or corrects orders with the physician. Reviews patient medication profiles to guard against drug sensitivities, contraindications, duplications, and major drug interactions.
3. Reviews all medication orders for prescribing, formulary, and therapeutic issues. Suggests appropriate formulary alternative(s) based on the patient's clinical parameters.
4. Consults and advises members of the medical staff on matters relating to specific drug therapy problems and monitors and acts on patient laboratory results. Provides in-depth drug information and other informational materials to members of the medical, nursing and other healthcare professionals. Provides patient discharge medication consultations based on department standards. Makes rounds with medical services. Calculates drug dosages based on pharmacokinetic parameters.
5. Prepares articles for the drug information newsletter and other Geisinger Health System publications and serves as editor as requested. Prepares drug reviews for System Therapeutics Formulary Subcommittee.
*B. DISTRIBUTIVE ACTIVITIES:
1. Verifies provider-entered orders in Epic Rx and ensures proper doses dispensed.
2. Prepares special medications involving compounding procedures and sterile products using aseptic techniques.
3. Supports investigational drug programs when requested and participates in pharmacy-related research.
4. Reports requirements for additional supplies and equipment to appropriate personnel (e.g., purchasing) to maintain basic stock levels.
*C. EDUCATIONAL / TEACHING ACTIVITIES:
1. Attends department educational programs. Maintains a current knowledge of technical and clinical practice changes affecting their scope of practice. Presents staff development programs for the System Therapeutics Department.
2. Teaches pharmacy interns, pharmacy residents, students, pharmacy technicians and pharmacists regarding information in all appropriate areas of pharmacy practice, policies, and procedures.
3. Presents posters/papers at professional meetings at national, state and/or local level; publishes articles in medical and pharmacy journals.
4. Provides inservices to other healthcare providers when requested and/or when necessary.
*D. ADMINISTRATIVE ACTIVITIES:
1. Demonstrates ability in operational area with respect to time management, supervision of staff, problem identification and resolution, and decision making.
2. Coordinates and supervises work-place activities and resources; promotes professional competence; assures that services rendered and work performed are in accordance with departmental standards. Advises, assists, and supervises the work of pharmacy technicians, students, and pharmacy interns; assumes final responsibility for accuracy of their work.
3. Works with medical and/or nursing personnel to resolve problems involving pharmacy services. Coordinates activities with other pharmacy personnel to accomplish pharmacy and hospital objectives.
4. Assists with the review and revision of departmental policies and procedures, as requested. Applies departmental policies and procedures to complex situations and identifies areas for which policies and procedures need to be developed, improved or revised.
5. Assumes responsibility for operation of the Pharmacy when assigned.
6. Participates in various local, state, and national organizations. Participates on various departmental and hospital committees and teams as assigned and serves as chairman or secretary as requested.
E. MISCELLANEOUS ACTIVITIES:
1. Represents the Pharmacy Service in a credible and professional manner. Department dress code policy must be followed.
2. Assists patients with drug-related problems.
3. Performs other duties as required or assigned for emergency or other operational reasons for which the employee is qualified to perform.
*Denotes essential job functions.