Cape Cod Healthcare is the leading provider of healthcare services for residents and visitors of Cape Cod. With more than 450 physicians, 4,700 employees, and 1,100 volunteers, Cape Cod Healthcare operates two-acute care hospitals, the Cape's leading provider of homecare and hospice services (VNA), a skilled nursing and rehabilitation facility (JML Care Center), an assisted living facility (Heritage at Falmouth), the Cape's only local laboratory service (CCHC Laboratory Services) and numerous health programs. We are currently seeking a dedicated MLT/MT to join our team at Cape Cod Hospital.
Cape Cod Healthcare offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits packages, tuition reimbursement, and generous paid time off.
PURPOSE OF POSITION: To perform the highest quality testing in the Section to which assigned.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures the satisfaction of all users of the department's services, both internal and external and seeks to continually improve customer service and satisfaction.
- Performs clinical testing in conformance with the Laboratory procedures in any of the areas assigned.
- Performs procedures necessary to assure compatible blood for patients (e.g. blood typing, antibody screening and identification, cross matching) and prepares and dispenses blood products for transfusion.
- Inoculates, cultivates, classifies and identifies microorganisms and biograms.
- Prepares and interprets gram stains, acid fast stains, mycology and parasitology preparations and other procedures as assigned.
- Prepares reagents, standards, controls, stains and culture media as necessary.
- Performs instrument troubleshooting as necessary and preventive maintenance as scheduled.
- Accurately transcribes completed test data for reporting.
- Makes recommendations for improvements in quality and/or efficiency to the immediate supervisor.
- Assists section supervisor.
- Performs the duties of the supervisor in the supervisor's absence as required.
- Serves as a technical reference in the supervisor's absence.
- Participates in the competency assessment of MLTs.
- Schedules unplanned absences
- Responsible for the maintenance of the Quality Control program to include:
- Troubleshoot and approval primary rule failures
- Verification of QC methods; new and periodic
- Review of daily and periodic QC data
- Review of reagent and maintenance QC
- Collect and summarize monthly statistical data
- Responsible for computer dictionary functions to include:
- Perform verification of "test" system dictionaries
- Make revisions to the instrument interface dictionary as directed by the supervisor.
- Make revisions to the QC dictionary
- Responsible for the design, implementation and management of quality assurance projects, as well the evaluation of data and recommendations.
- Maintains assigned Procedure Manuals in compliance with CAP and NCCLS standards and review/revises the manuals as necessary and at least annually.
- Performs functions of the LST job descriptions as needed to include:
- All data processing functions
- Answers phones
- Verifies in-coming specimens with courier
- Prepares specimens for shipment to intra-system sites and references labs; makes necessary arrangements for transportation.
- Inoculates and processes culture specimens and prepares for transportation.
- Practice efficient and economical use of laboratory supplies; checks the inventory, orders supplies and restocks upon arrival.
- Teaches practical and theoretical principles of test procedures to orientees, students and presents in-services.
- Obtains appropriate blood specimens from patients of all ages.
- Maintains confidentiality of information deemed confidential.
- Maintains harmonious and cooperative relations with fellow employees, medical staff, patients and guests and serves effectively as part of the Laboratory team in performing professional service to patients.
- Maintains work benches, testing areas and other work areas in a clean, sanitary and free of clutter condition for the safety of patients, guests and staff.
- Maintains professional growth and development through approved seminars workshops, and professional affiliations to keep abreast of latest trends in field of expertise and must document completion of at least 6.0 contact hours as defined and approved by the ASCP or NCA.
- Has the ability to learn and perform new procedures established in the clinical laboratory.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of departmental and Hospital policies and procedures as they pertain to the job, including the fire and disaster plans.
- Performs other work related duties and activities as assigned or requested.
Consistently provides service excellence to all patients, family members, visitors, volunteers and co-workers in a manner that reflects Cape Cod Healthcare's commitment to CARES: compassion, accountability, respect, excellence and service.